Monday, June 09, 2008

this is not the real world, Pastor Iva

Santa Juana's post on Icehouse's "Just turn the key to the kingdom"
reminded me of how haunting and Godhaunted a soundtrack was Icehouse's self-titled song and (banned) video was to my (little did I know) soon-to-to-be Christian era (early 1980s) .



Frontman Iva Davies is an intriguing guy, classically trained genius, still making music, volunteers at Salvation Army.

But this quote got me, bold emphasis mine. How do I force myself to realize/remember and name that "this" (church/pastor-professor status/title/whatever) is "not the real world."
My "Christian name" is always misspelled/misunderstood.
Perhaps, the greatest significance of the exercise is that, through it, the name "Iva Davies" came into being. The label of the first single bore the name "Ivor Davies," but the second was attributed to "Iva Davies and Afghan." Apparently, the misspelling of the name on the label was just the last of such a long chapter of errors in producing the disc; so much so that it was never corrected. The singer Ivor Davies was released to the popular music world as Iva Davies, so he decided to go along with the idea. It has been that way ever since, at least to the outside world. Yet, a few more recent remarks to Rolling Stone on the subject of the popular music industry, do reveal that there is still another inside world with a longer standing inside label.

"You know what this industry is like: you sell a few records and you think you're king of the castle.

"That's one of the reasons why I kept the misspelling of my Christian name for this. They got my name wrong on the label, they spelt it "Iva" instead of Ivor, which is still my legal name. I still sign cheques and my parents still write Ivor on my birthday cards. I get really affronted if any of my friends write Iva. I kept it just to remind me that this is not the real world."

link



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!