Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Violet Burning talks to God..and vice versa

Like a biblical psalm where the narrator may suddenly shift from God to the prayer;
or the text may morph from us talking to God to God talking to us;
many Violet Burning lyrics/narratives weave.

Like the classic, " Gorgeous": who is calling who "gorgeous"?:



"i see so much/the distance in your eyes/you won't catch me that way,"
could actually work either way...if we're honest:

It could be accusing God of seeming distant; and/or God promising that he will never be distant even when we are.


And the live version includes with a rousing "you shine!"
Is that us speaking to God, or God to us?
I think it can be a both/and.

Then there's "I See Stars" where a similar dynamic is at work...

Who sees stars in who? Who kisses who?

The song starts with a spoken intro: One/Two/You've got yours/I've got you,"
which I take as God saying: "You have a star(Me), and so do I (you)."

And a similar twist in the live version.

Studio lyrics include the round/background vocals in parentheses:

Hold my hand in the pouring rain; I never wanna go too far,
This rain coming down is the sound of your grace,
The pain in my heart is gone,
Heaven holds my heart, and I feel it: the palm of your hand in mine.

And I never, never, I never wanted more than this,
I promise, I promise, I promise this time will be alright.
Yeah, I see stars every time we kiss.

"Hold me close, never let me go," - I love it when you talk that way,
And throw your arms all around my neck,
I love you, I love you, please stay,
Heaven holds my heart, and I feel it: the palm of your hand against mine.

And I never, never...I never wanted more than this,
You promise, you promise, I promise this time will be alright.
Yeah, I see stars every time we kiss.

Put your hands up,
Put your hands in the sky,
Yeah, I see stars every time we kiss.

Every time we kiss,
Yeah, I see stars every time we kiss.

I never, I never, I never wanted more than this,
I promise, I promise, I promise this time will be alright.
Every time we kiss,
I never, I never, I never wanted more than this, ( I see stars every time we kiss)
Yeah, I see stars every time we kiss. (I see stars every time we kiss)

But watch the live version, those lines are spliced intriguingly in the outro.

I promise this time...I see stars.
I never wanted...I see stars.

The first line remix could be the narrator renewing his relationship with Jesus.
The second line remade could be the narrator admitting that he never signed up for this romance with Jesus, but got it anyway.

One might also ask: Who is the Rock and Star?:


--










Buy the DVD already, tell 'em I sent ya:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!