Monday, June 29, 2009

The Fat Pastor: "Thinking about Chicken & Church"

Coming out of the United Methodist tradition,
I have appreciated and laughed at their most recent attempt to apprear reelvant. Some of the ads in their new series are wonderful, I just hope they reflect the reality any seekers find if they knock on the door of a church to test the promises out.

The Fat Pastor has made quite a discovery, though:

The United Methodist Church has come out with a new marketing campaign. You may have seen one of the commercials. “RETHINK CHURCH” they declare. The idea is to think of church as a verb instead of a noun – a thing we do instead of a place we go. It is a compelling idea, and it was clearly put together by a slick marketing team. A team so slick, that I think KFC probably hired them to.

Has anyone else noticed the similarities between RETHINK CHURCH and UNTHINK CHICKEN? Besides the fact that, short of a Men in Black mind sweeping gadget or a lobotomy, I’m not sure how to unthink or rethink something (I mean, I know how to think, and I know how to change my mind, but isn’t changing one’s mind actually just another new thought?), couldn’t they have at least come up with different fonts – maybe something in a seriff.

-The fat Pastor, Thinking about Chicken and Church


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!