Wednesday, September 23, 2009

“No, we wouldn’t have anything like that.”

Subversive Influence posts:

So I took my oldest daughter down to the Christian bookstore to buy an “Adventures in Odyssey” CD for my youngest daughter’s birthday. The first store, subtitled a “Christian Store” (Er, I’d like to buy a Christian, please) didn’t have any, so we went downtown to the second, a much older long-established store...


Since I was in the Christian bookstore, I browsed the shelves of Christian books briefly, took note at how the level of commentary that was kept in stock has continued to drop, and surveyed some of the topics and titles that seemed popular. I wondered if they had Phyllis Tickle’s The Great Emergence and what else was in that section, but I just didn’t seem to see it on the shelves. As I stepped up to the cashier, my eyes were still scanning the shelves and the topic titles above them.

“Are you looking for something, or someone?” asks the young clerk behind the counter.

“Just wondered if you had an ecclesiology section,” I tell her, assuming they did, and she would just point me in that direction.

Quizzical look. “Theology?”

“Ecclesiology, like specifically about the church.”

She glances around. “No, we wouldn’t have anything like that.”

I pay and we leave, me feeling suddenly very curmudgeonly.

-Subversive Influence, link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!