Thursday, December 03, 2009

"just maybe we’ve made this whole thing up"


Intro to " Oh Me of Little Faith," by Jason Boyett, a Zondervan..believe it or not...release
(kudos for allowing this content...also for approving this cover...related story: Zondervan Issues Apology for Publishing 'Deadly Viper'):

I am a Christian. I have been a Christian for most of my life. But there are times–a growing number of times, to be honest–when I’m not entirely sure I believe in God.

There. I said it.

So now you know, and we can both relax and talk about it. Confessing the presence of spiritual uncertainty in my life is a relief. I can breathe easier now because I don’t have to pretend. I don’t have to hide my conflicted feelings when we talk about Jesus and the Bible. I don’t have to feel like a jerk if you, or anyone else, look to me as some kind of spiritual expert or teacher. I don’t have to tiptoe around the word most of us hesitate to use in church or around Christian friends because it freaks us out so much.

Doubt.

Now that it’s out in the open, I can strip off my happy Christian mask, climb down from whatever pedestal I’ve hoisted myself upon, and be who I really am: a committed follower of Jesus who occasionally finds himself wondering if maybe, just maybe, we’ve made this whole thing up..
-Jason Boyett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!