Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"love and community," and post-Reformation connected knowing


"Here's where we gotta be
Love and community
Laughter is eternity
If joy is real"
-U2, "Get On Your Boots
"

Especially after reading this book>...
I meant to add a bit, and ask some questions, on my last post on epistemology/mission (here),
but I'll add all that here, by pasting in below my comments to Len under his respost of my post:

In addition to flagging evangelical certainty, i should have also mentioned a hyperspiritual hyperpentecostal restorationist frame which overuses “God told me.” And maybe part of the problem in charismatic communities is an underdeveloped community hermeneutic/epistemology.
The book "A Many Colored Kingdom, A: Multicultural Dynamics for Spiritual Formation" tipped me off to Mary Field Belenky’s “connected knowing” /empathetic epistemology for education:
‘The epistemology that guides teaching….this type of knowing flows from empathy..and encourages collaboration…recognition of interdependence of creation..when people are disconencted, spaces are created where oppression can set in…This requires imagination” (204)
Len, Can you say more about epistemology/love connection?
You and Mark DeRaud have got me thinking on this. Maybe elaborate a bit on the Latin quote you dropped. I wish i could find Mark’s comments on this. I think he connected the still-dominant Reformation hermen/epistemology as doctrine/certainty/individualism/word- based, without much of the love that communitas and a preReformation and postmodern epistemology (at its best) can offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!