Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Lou Reed returns from the dead to scratch St. Peter's back on Solsbury Hill, and deny that he (Lou) was ever a slut..

From the second album of the duo, "Scratch My Back...And I'll Scratch Yours"..

Just three reasons why this song  is a phenomenon:

1)Lou Reed covering any Peter Gabriel song is emough of an event; let alone Gabriel's seminal "I'll tell you the song is just about leaving Genesis, but it's really a conversion narrative" song.

2)Lou  sings "you can keep my things/they've come to take me home" in a song recorded not long before ..and released after... his death.

3)The lyric change to "my friends would think I was a slut."  Love that he got Peter's blessing on that..


More on this album



 -- Related:

Peter Gabriel's lament for the times-preview all songs here

Peter Gabriel's mercurial, disruptive, Moses: the Mozo song cycle and making gold from crap

Peter Gabriel: "the Cross worked!"...and Supper's Ready

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!