Monday, August 18, 2014

"making money out of this wild and wondrous idea of trapping sound waves and charging for them"

Great article about Peter Himmelman:

Life Lessons From Bob Dylan’s Brilliant Jewish Singer-Songwriter Son-in-Law

Excerpts:

“Meditation is one area where assessment thinking has no place,” he said. “No one does meditation well, no one does it poorly. We’ve put such a premium on success and failure.”
-----------------



“Can the Rebbe do anything?” Himmelman asked. “Can he fly?”
“I’ve never seen the Rebbe fly,” Jacobson replied. “But for the Rebbe, walking on the earth is as miraculous as flying.”
Jacobson continues: “Peter seemed to appreciate that miracle and he started coming to the class on a weekly basis.”
-----------
The conventional journalistic narrative might ask how being an observant Jew, married to the understandably reticent daughter of one of the most famous men on the planet who himself is just as notorious for guarding his own privacy, has limited his career. “There are certain guardrails that protect a marriage,” Himmelman said. “Not that children are guardrails, but they serve that function.” The holidays that require observance, he said, are protective of unions. Unplugging, literally and figuratively, is one of the blessings of Shabbat. And so is the benefit of not quite achieving the fame as an adult that he might have dreamt of as a boy. “Anyone who desires to be seen in the public eye has a lack, a need for special attention,” he said. “I am drawn to that, but even at the apex, I was cognizant of the danger of the whole thing. I would play for thousands of people, but I’d have to shut that off before I walked in the door. Maria would hand me a screaming baby and say, ‘What do you want, applause?’ And I’d think, yes, I do. So, you really have to give fame more than I would be willing to give. It’s like Baal, or some pagan religion. I can’t give everything to that. The benefits of fame have come to me in smaller packages than I might have managed.”
--

"How was it we ever made money out of this wild and wondrous idea of trapping sound waves and charging for them in the first place?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!