Tuesday, August 26, 2014

two heartbreaking songs about attending church

 Two heartbreaking songs about attending church..too bad they can't be played/sung/prayed in church..(along with this classic happy-clappy hymn)













"They Eye of the Needle" by The Divine Comedy

They say that you'll hear him 
if you're really listening 
And pray for that feeling of grace 
But that's what I'm doing, why doesn't he answer? 
I've prayed 'til I'm blue in the face 

The cars in the churchyard are shiny and German 
Distinctly at odds with the theme of the sermon 
And during communion I study the people 
Threading themselves through the eye of the needle
I know that it's wrong for the faithful to seek it 
But sometimes I long for a sign, anything 
Something to wake up the whole congregation 
And finally make up my mind 

The cars in the churchyard are shiny and German 
Completely at odds with the theme of the sermon 
And all through communion I stare at the people 
Squeezing themselves through the eye of the needle --
--------------
"Secret of the Easy Yoke" by Pedro the Lion

i could hear the church bells ringing 
they pealed aloud your praise 
the member's faces were smiling 
with their hands outstretched to shake 
it's true they did not move me 
my heart was hard and tired 
their perfect fire annoyed me 
i could not find you anywhere 
could someone please tell me the story 
of sinners ransomed from the fall 
i still have never seen you, and somedays 
i don't love you at all 

the devoted were wearing bracelets 
to remind them why they came 
some concrete motivation 
when the abstract could not do the same 

but if all that's left is duty, i'm falling on my sword 
at least then, i would not serve an unseen distant lord 

could someone please tell me the story 
of sinners ransomed from the fall 
i still have never seen you,
 and some days i don't love you at all 
if this only a test 
i hope that i'm passing, because i'm losing steam
but i still want to trust you 

peace be still 
peace be still 
peace be still 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!