Monday, May 01, 2017

More from Bono on the psalms

A year ago, Fuller Studio posted the great Bono/Eugene Peterson conversation on the Psalms; it's here.  Of course, at the time, I wondered what gems were left on the cutting room floor.  My prayers were answered a few months later here.

Now, on the anniversary of the film, they have released further interview excerpts with Bono, filmed a bit later.

Here they are below, from this link.

 Tim Neufeld, at this link, posted some power quotes:
Psalm 82 is a good start. [It says] defend the rights of the poor and the orphans. Be fair to the needy and helpless. Rescue them from the power of evil people. See, this isn’t charity, this is justice.

I try to get to the place where the song is singing me.

We [U2] have a hunch that God is not that interested in advertising . . . . It’s art, rather than advertising, that the Creator of the universe is impressed by.

Taylor: One thing you’ve learned about God through your reading of the Psalms. Bono: “He listens.” Taylor: One thing that you’ve learned about yourself through your reading of the Psalms. Bono: “I don’t listen enough.”

I want to argue the case for artists – or potential artists – who might be listening in on our conversation and are not giving expression to what’s really going on in their life because they feel it will give the wrong impression of them. We don’t have to please God in any other way than to be brutally honest; that is the root not only to a relationship with God but the root to a great song . . . .

I think all art is prophetic.

I went finally to Jerusalem… And I went to Golgotha, and I went to the site… where death died. That’s where death died. And so, I don’t really believe in it anymore. It has no power over me as it had when I was 14 years old.





“Where Death Died”



Bono & Mako in New York City (photo: John Harrison)
+ Mako

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!