Sunday, June 17, 2012

Psalm 22 possible chiasm: Death is off the table.

LHooge posts:

Psalm 22 – “My God, My God, Why hast Thou Forsaken Me?:


.
This Psalm has 2 parts.  The first part is a chiasmus.  The second part is not. 
The chiasmus has a famous beginning (“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken Me?”), a good center, and a nice end. 
Here’s a basic outline of the chiasmus:
A:  A cry for help:  no answer
B:  Israel
C:  Personal (an “I/me” section)
D:  Bulls, lion, bones
E:  Dogs, ‘pierce’, bones
FA prayer for God’s help
E’:   - , sword, dog
D’:   – , lion, oxen
C’:  Personal (an “I/me” section)
B’:  Israel
A’:  Cried for help:  heard
I particularly like the connections through D2, E2′, E’2”, and D’2” :  …  think ‘sharp’, as in e.g., ’teeth’, as in ‘open lion’s mouth’.
Interestingly, D3 and E3′ (“bones”) have been left unmatched in E’ and D’.  I wonder why?  Is it because of the section’s closer association with death?  If so, then ‘death’ is absent in the latter sections.  …  Death is off the table.  Life is in play  …  ?..
        -CONTINUED HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!