Friday, June 26, 2015

the strange loop/truce/helix of Myers-Briggs: I am my opposite, of course

I have often though, said and taught that this (the  Myers-Briggs phenomenon Priebe talks about in the article I will link) happens, but not due to reading anyone else making a logical case for it, but because I intuitively felt that it did..,

--which I realized makes sense, as I am  off the charts "intuitively feeling" (NF) on Myers-Briggs.

That means I can trust my NF...
Click to view my Personality Profile page
                                                   ..unless I can't (:

I have often suggested that if each pair  of preferences is a pictured as a spectrum,
imagine folks who are strong on one "end"  looping around to act like their "opposite."

True also of fundamentalisms of the left and right..

Is that "surrational," Mark DeRaud?
Is that loopy?


You know, I sometimes picture the "line" as more of a mult-loopy helix (Hegelian?) helix..like this diagram of sex(uality) from the cover of Foucault's :"The History of Sexuality">>

I don't see anywhere in the book where this diagram is explicitly explained, but if Rob Bell is right..


For many, sexuality is simply what happens between two people involving physical pleasure. But that's only a small percentage of what sexuality is. Our sexuality is all the ways we strive to reconnect with our world, with each other, and with God." (Rob Bell, "Sex God," p. 42).

...it's inevitably also a   picture of life. let alone our personality preferences.

In Myers-Briggs, it seems that  when one person is  E or I, not matter how far in one direction,   their "vertedness" loops and weaves.


Or  check out like Kegan's developmental chart, "a helix of evolutionary truces"















I can't help it.  I just intuitively feel that life itself is a
  holy helix.

 













Anyway..the article, with an example:

------------------------------------------------------------



"How  Each Myers-Briggs Type Contradicts Their Own Stereotype" by Heidi Priebe.
Full article here

Excerpt about my type:
..because it's all about me! (: 

INFP

Stereotype: INFPs are fragile emotional snowflakes who cannot deal with facts or hard logic.
Reality: Though INFPs certainly prefer using emotion over logic, they are more than capable of getting things done when they need to. This type can actually be incredibly resourceful and organized, as they will go to any lengths necessary in pursuit of what they believe is right. As a highly pensive type, INFPs are quite focused and often even mistype as judgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!