Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Honest Liars and King's X

Everything you see is not anything you want
Everything you want is not anything it is
Liar
God Vendor..

Makes me sick, makes me wanna vomit
I'm fillin' my heart with rocks and sand
I am the slogan, "Christ for sale"

-Mike Knott, "Liar"


Could it be that as soon as we say "I'm telling the truth," we're lying?

Rings true.


If we claim "I'm lying," we may be telling the whole truth.
That may be a lie.

The sentence below is false.
The sentence above is true.

Honestly, this is nothing new,
if you recall the classic self-referential Epiminedes Paradox:


Epimenides was a Cretan who made one immortal statement:
"All Cretans are liars."
The self-referential paradox arises when one considers whether
Epimenides spoke the truth. link

This whole paradoxical deal is even (inevitably) referenced in the Bible:

"One of Crete's own prophets has said it: 'Cretans are always liars.'
He has surely told the truth."–Titus 1:12


The sentence below is false.
The sentence above is true.

Can we Christians ever tell the truth?
Especially by claiming we love unconditionally?
I fear we all have unconditional conditions.
.............Which may make us honest liars (And we all know where liars go).

Can we followers of Truth incarnate ever tell the truth?
Especially when "one of us" says he's gay?

Paul didn't seem to fear being struck dead (so help him, God) by involing a triple oath of honesty:

"I am telling the truth;
I am not lying;
My conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit" (Romans 9:1)

When one considers the context of that promise (he would be damned so others could be saved);
it's all the more amazing.

I wish I could say it were true of us/me saying that we still unconditionally love "one of our own"
who now claims to be gay..

..and suggests he smokes pot..

...Oh, he also drops the F-bomb frequently.

Honestly, aren't those three sure signs of losing ones salvation? (:

The first one cut him off in many folk's eyes...even though a careful reading of the interviews imply that he admits and orientation, and has not had an acual homesexual relatiinship.

As if that would make a difference, anyway.

I may be a Cretan.
Honestly.




Doug Pinnick started out with impeccable evangelical credentials: living in Christian community; founding member of Servant, bandmate of Phil Keaggy..

..but long story short (more here), the brilliant Pinnick--who along with his bandmates in King's X have created some of the most amazing, prayerful, HONEST music ever---has definitely distanced himself from Christians....and Christianity.


" they (Christians) rejected us anyway after they learned who we were.
They're human, they hide it.
We're not like that, we're too honest.
That's why I am down on Christian music.
In the name of truth they live lies.
That's never been me."-2006


"Me and God got no f---in' problem... My problem is all these people that put His name on their work."
1998
But now Doug Pinnick (via a King's X song, "Prayer", are asing for prayer..

..or is he?

Read the whole lyric in context (there is defintely a punchline, and an eventual qualifier on those invited to pray for him)..and especially in context of all he's been through...and you can decide:

Lyrics

Pray Lyrics

And if you think that what you think is true
If you found peace deep inside of you
If your faith made a mountain move for you then,
Don't forget to pray for me,
Hear me now

If you think that Jesus has saved you
Mother Mary is waiting there for you
If you think that God has spoke to you then
Don't forget to pray for me,
full lyrics
more lyrics

I honestly hope I am teling the truth..

..that we can learn to love him (and anyone) unconditionally.

Don't hear what I'm not saying:

I think it's OK to be gay, smoke pot, and swear.

yada, yada.
"I'm not straight...not gay either"

That that is precisely NOT the point IS the point.

--
Enjoy some classic King's X:



"Over My Head"
("Grandma she was praying/I hear music..over my head):



(They still do this song)

and this one:

"It's You...I sing this song for You/You're the glory".
(seen is this later-career clip with the "legalize marijuana" sticker on Pinnick's bass):



See also these related posts by a true Cretan:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!