In this case, the title alone-- "U2's Theological Imagination: A Guide For Pilgrims on the Way"-- would have sold me on buying the book.
But that the author is Steven Harmon? That clinched the deal. Harmon, Professor of Historical Theology at Gardner-Webb School of Divinity is (see p. 9 for "U2 as Theologians)an articulate theologian
and deep fan of U2.
He definitely has some ground beneath his feet, and the authority to write this book.
As you can see, it sits on the honored top of my stack and stash of books this month...
"My own academic discipline of systematic or constructive theology helps me discern in U2's music the theological framework of Christian doctrinal convictions about God, creation, the human condition, redemption and the goals of God's community-making work in a world that longs for reconciliation." (pp. 3-4)
Suffice to say this is not a pop-culture , superficial .. let alone "tacky and vouyeristic" ...mass-market title on U2 and their faith.
Having said that..
I didn't expect to see my name on the first page (:
There, in the acknowledgements (p.ix), he expresses indebtedness to "rewarding conversations about the theological implications of U2's music ...[with] Scot Calhoun, Cathleen Falsani, Derek Hogan, John Inscore Essick, Beth Maynard, Will McDonald, Mark Medley. Tim Neufeld, Angela Pancella, Kenneth Tanner, Dave Wainscott and Andrew William Smith."
Well, as you can see by the mentions of several of those names on my blog, and on my Facebook, that is would be dynamic cohort to hang with for a few days! Next U2 Conference, hopefully! ...
.. As long as Megan Click is also there! Her wonderful review of U2's "Easter Lilly' blew me away, and I will brag on her and that in my next post.
Harmon's book is of course an indispensable addition to the library of theologically-minded U2 fans, and I will commend the Amazon preview and reviews to you at this link, and simply highlight here two vital talking points...both related to The Edge... from the first two chapters alone.
1) Edge's eschatological guitar
My brother and I, who first saw U2 in concert on the convert on War tour, (see my review "I am still living off this concert" , and see this to check how electric it was ), and we have often talked about "The Holy Spirit on guitar!" when listening to The Edge's "swirling epiphanies," There are others who seemingly pray through their guitar, but no one emotes it like Edge,
Harmon's discussion of a more specific branch of theology, eschatology, illuminates how Edge is a theologically-informed guitarrist/pray-er:
".. ['Gloria'] exemplifies what I've come to regard as theologically significant about The Edge's very tone: the amp pushed just to the edge of breakup without going fully over into distortion, expressing an urgent stretching forth toward something not quite reached, contrasting with those ethereal chiming harmonics that break in from somewhere transcendent. Both come together in this next song, The first verse voices frustration at efforts to sing, and stand up, and speak up that don't quite succeed, accompanied by a riff that's the rock guitar equivalent of a Baroque keyboard fugue, played with that yearning overdriven tone. Then comes the inbreaking of those transcendent chiming harmonics...(p.5)
-------------------
"The word that comes to mind when I try to come up with language for the sound of a U2 song is yearning ..the music itself evokes yearning."(p. 6)
----------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
-2)Edge's Pádraig Ó Tuama and Methodist connections
"I've been reading a lot about the early period of Methodism...and George Whitfield who was..the first evangelist to take his sermons out doors," said the Edge to Pádraig Ó Tuama
Wait..what?
Double take..
How had I ever missed that Edge had been interviewed by Pádraig Ó Tuama?
And that in the process, he expressed great interest in early Methodist DNA? (see"Wesleyan Vile-tality: Reclaiming the Heart of Methodist Identity")
Two of my favorite topics.
Methodism is my heritage and tribe, and that Edge ( "the "Zen Presbyterian") had been reading about it--- let alone " a lot"--- made my day...a lot.
And of course no surprise that fellow Irishmen and fellow theologians O'Tuama and Edge (see p. 9 for "U2 as Theologians) got together and got along.
I have been using a song (below) of O. Tuama's in teaching and seminars for years, a shocking (to evangelical sensitivities, anyway) song of lament (complete with F word ) for years.
I often wondered if O'Tuama knew U2.
I learned all this from Harmon's magnificent book (p.10).
-----------------------------------
All that to say, as a pilgrim on my way, I highly commend and recommend..
nay, require..this book,
Suffice to say I am thankful for the theological imagination of pilgrim Steven Harmon himself.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!