Sunday, November 25, 2007

U2 devotional #7b:"like a preacher needs pain"

I was there

when Russell Willingham (lovingly) tricked a room full of pastors
into how unobvious our priorities have become
(take his brief test here).

But I am afraid I WASN'T there
when they crucified my Lord
(Excuse me, same album, different song)...

....................If I truly had,or I would be in a lot more pain over that Day's events.

Bottom line:

If I am a preacher, what do I need?

Yes, I know the answer is supposed to be

"Jesus."


Sometimes there is great value in indiscriminately tossing off raw similes in passionate prayer:




"...like a Phoenix rising needs a holy Tree..
like sweet revenge on a bitter enemy..
...like black coffee, like nicotine..
...like a preacher needs pain,

...like faith needs a doubt, like a freeway out..
...Like powder needs a spark, Like lies need the dark...
I need Your love"
-"Hawkmoon 269," U2


Uh...excuse me?! Back up that tape a bit.
Okay...I confess.

Preachers desperately need pain..

......that we might be in touch, real, and actually relate to Jesus and others.

But that's still too practical , utilitarian (What Would Ellul Do?) cheesy a reason.
Scratch that. Lies need dark.
"I cast you out, foul spirit of effectiveness!'

God didn't call me to techniques to relate to people.
He calls me to relate to Jesus,

preach from pain, preach as pain,
abdicate technique,
and watch what Holy Spirit does as I therefore
preach and practice for the first time.

Of course, a close look at the lyric reveals pain is only the pathway to what I really need.
It's a penultimate pointer to the bottom line, unltmate/intimate/only need/prayer:

"like a preacher needs pain...i need Your love.

Pain me there, Jesus.

Later note: an awesome commentary on this song here,
preachers should read at at great risk.

The studio version is a classic (first video);
They never were happy with the song live, but here (2nd video) is a rare live version.
I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!