Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Meet me, octopi and supernovas in the sound of music

Bono must read physics.
Or maybe he just does it.
He has often said,
“Music is the language of the Spirit."

The upcoming album suggests he may have not only the Good Book
but a good physics book by his bedside:

"I was born to sing for you/
I didn't have a choice but to lift you up..

And sing whatever song you wanted me to/
I give you my voice back."

"Let me in the sound sound..
God..Meet me in the sound."

What's all that to do with physics?
Only everything:

"When I began reading physics texts on my own...(I learned) that the top quark is that last elusive piece of matter....But (now we read) that the top quark may itself be composed of still smaller pieces of unnamed matter that are so small they have no position in time and space.

We live in an ocean of energy. Life is energy. God is pure creative energy...You and I are an emergent human form of organized energy, the mattering of God's Spirit.

Music does more than to experience God as spirit as we experience life as spirit.
Music is more accurately the essence of who we are as human beings created in the image of God.
If the most elemental and elementary aspect of life is energy that vibrates, then life is at base music.
For anything that vibrates give off sound. Sound is a function of vibration, of resonance.

..Everything that is has sound rhythm-from whales and octupi to supernovas and quasars.

Cosmic vibration are everywhere. From cells to our cellular phones, from snowflakes to supernovas, everything emits vibrations, sounds to feed or famish the soul.

You and I are at base sound-a human organization of dancing energy. You and I are at base a song. There is not an atom in our body that is not singing a song. The vibrations and resonance
that go on at the atomic level rveal that our entire body was created to hear-burst into song..

There is no one who isn't musical."



Of course the mystics could have told us that all along (see Cioran on music/mysticism)..

..which is why I started this post with
the mystic who years ago summarized:

“Music is the language of the Spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!