Wednesday, February 04, 2009

a "community called" and gallows humor

I love the new "educational mission" statement and ad tagline for the seminary I attended, Asbury:

"a community called
."

Since it is all about the calling of the called-out community/communitas, anyway..

But what I particularly enjoyed in the seminary magazine unveiling the new statement,
was the confession by seasoned president, Elworth Kallas:


"I regret that I never really helped my people find their place in the Body of Christ. I tried, but inadequately. At a certain point in the church year my congregations had their financial campaigns, during which members pledged their monetary support for the coming year. In time, we came to include in the financial appeal a second pledge form in which people were asked to indicate how they would like to use their gifts in the church: Teach Sunday School? Usher and greet? Sing in the choir or play a musical instrument? Serve on a committee?
(I remember the little gallows humor: 'I went to church to find Christ, and they appointed me to a committee.')
-Ellsworth Kallas, "On the Journey," The Asbury Herald ,Winter 2009, p.13
(emphasis mine)


It's this "gallows humor" quote that I latched onto; as it reminded me of the simlar statement from U2's live version of "Last Night on Earth"
("I wanted to meet God, and you sold me religion") and the many others you submitted earlier.

It is so easy for church to become an

organized "committee of buzzards,"

and not the

organic communitas of beatifics that she is called to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!