Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Billy Corgan: God as the future of rock music; U2 and Christian rock

Excerpt (see him say it  on video here)



CORGAN: And, you know, they asked 50 artists, "What's the future of rock?" And my answer was, "God". And they said, "What do you mean?" And I said, "Well, God's the third rail of -" What is it? "Social security is the third rail of politics in America". Well, God is the third rail in rock and roll. You're not supposed to talk about God. Even though most of the world believes in God. It's sort of like, "Don't go there". 
I think God's the great, unexplored territory in rock and roll music. And I actually said that. I thought it was perfectly poised. And, of course, they didn't put it in the interview.
RAJPAL: What would you say to Christian rockers, then?
CORGAN: Make better music.
(LAUGHTER)
CORGAN: Personally, my opinion - I think Jesus would like better bands, you know?
(LAUGHTER)
CORGAN: Now I'm going to get a bunch of Christian rock hate mail.
RAJPAL: But that's interesting - 
CORGAN: Just wait, here's a better quote - 
RAJPAL: Yes.
CORGAN: Hey, Christian rock, if you want to be good, stop copying U2. U2 already did it. You know what I mean? There's a lot of U2-esque Christian rock.
RAJPAL: Sure.
CORGAN: Bono and company created the template for modern Christian rock. And I like to think Jesus would want us all to evolve.  full transcript

.
.

END

ZwanSong



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!