Sunday, July 07, 2013

" I often wonder if God recognizes His own son the way they’ve dressed him up"

Faber’s hands itched on his knees. "May I?"

"Sorry." Montag gave him the book.

"It’s been a long time. I’m not a religious man. But it’s been a long time."

Faber turned the pages, stopping here and there to read.
 "It’s as good as I remember.
 Lord, how they’ve changed it in our ‘parlors’ these days.
 Christ is one of the ‘family’ now.
. I often wonder if God recognizes His own son the way they’ve dressed him up,
 or is it dressed him down?
He’s a regular peppermint stick now,
 all sugar-crystalled and saccharine when he isn’t making veiled references
 to certain commercial products that every worshiper absolutely needs."
-Farenheit 451. p. 9, Ray Bradbury

 see:

1 comment:

  1. Fahrenheit 451. Great book. I've taught it often. In this part Bradbury has professor Faber talking about a future where Jesus has become just another sweet celebrity used to hawk commercial products in various ads. It's still a disturbing scenario.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!