Friday, February 08, 2008

A furious prayer


I need to dovetail my previous prayer with another one;
I long to keep the two prayers in creative tension and dialectic concert;
knowing that if I pray them both simultaneously and Spiritaneously,
the twain will furiously* and fruitfully meet;
they won't cancel each other out;

but such will allow the Spirit to install in me the intuitive,
case-by-case discernment
that is my only duty
deepest desire
and the only way to fly with fixed fluidity,
and access and assess an accurate reading of
God's mind and mail.

The first prayer was prayed on this previous post; and is by Mike Roe:

1)"Save me from randomnity"
(complete lyric here)

The second prayer is from Charlie Peacock (the only singer I know who can teach seminary-level theology into a wildly danceable song...like "You can only possess what you experience"), and goes like this:
2)"Deliver me from strategy"
(From the song "The Secret of Time", complete lyric not online but some context: "Deliver me from strategy, from endless clever thinking..")

So, pray that I pray to pray that these two furiously "opposites" are woven into me,
and then watch God freely move into my motives and decisions.

Then maybe I'll quit trying to steer cats and drive sheep.


It's no surprise Mike Roe and Charlie Peacock are such good friends..even their passing prayers work in holy tandem.
"Save me from randomnityDeliver me from strategy"

*"Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites, by keeping them both, and keeping them both furious" -Chesterton, "Orthodoxy"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!