Monday, February 25, 2008

Dreams about dreaming keep me alive

I need to dream about dreaming more often.

Maybe even dream about dreaming about dreaming.


Besides, now that the second half of my life
qualifies me for the first half
of Joel's Pentecosted promise
("Your old men will dream dreams.
Your young men will see visions")...


...I might as well dream about dreaming a bit more.


More than once, I have woken from a

dream, and in that fleeting in-between zone, heard(?), seen (?) a phrase that I caused me to think, "Hmmm, interesting, I need to look that up when I wake up."


I have been amazed that though every time the phrase sounded silly or stupid; every time when I googled my phrase, it proved highly

significant, even prophetic.

As I blogged last year:


I recently woke up with the thought in my head "Nothing is more practical than theory, and nothing is more theoretical than practice" I woke up, and wondered had anyone ever said that before? I googled it, and it turned out to be...

Karl Marx!!..

It was also/still a word from God.
link

Just a few days ago, a name came to me. It was a bizarre name I had never heard before. I googled it, half-expecting to find nothing and was half-right. Until I thought to translate it into Spanish. My jaw dopped open, and I knew exactly who I was to pray for.



Yesterday I participated in the Sundy afternoon ritual that many pastors subscribe to:

a nap.


As I was in the

transition
aka
trainman space
(in the Matrix, this character controls the no man's land between the matrix and the real world)
aka
aka


Maybe awake, perhaps

asleep, likely both...


Sort of in a dream, the thought came to me:


"Dreaming is what keeps you alive....literally."


"Hmmm,interesting, I need to look that up....," I thought.


Turned out to be a pretty standard theory in neurology, psychology etc.



What is the most basic or general function that dreaming is likely to serve. Since dreaming is an activity of the brain, we must first ask what function brain activity serves? And because the most general biological purpose of living organisms is survival, this must also be the most general biological answer to the purpose of brain activity. The brain fosters survival by regulating the organism's transactions with the world and with itself. These latter transactions would perhaps be best achieved in the dream state, when sensory information from the external world is at its minimum.
-chapter 8 of Stephen LaBerge's Lucid Dreaming

By then it was time to rouse my self, touch up the bedhair, and get to a local church in time to hear Rachel Hickson preach:

To hope, perchance to dream.

She punctuated her message on hope with the unfamiliar context of Martin Luther King's most familiar line.



"I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.".
This is our hope, and this is the faith that I



go back to the South with.
With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope.

-Martin Luther King



(It looks like a version of that sermon is on her church website here).

Hope keeps me dreaming , dreaming keep me alive.

I hope

I dream

I pray




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!