Thursday, April 23, 2009

Radiohead on Romans 7 ("Creep") and 8 ("Lift)"

"That's very beautiful. Very resurrection."
-Sarah Masen, David Dark's wife, on walking by while Dark was listening to the outro to Radiohead's "Kid A," recounted in the amazing book, "Everyday Apocalypse," p 77


"Radiohead makes sacred music." - Bono

"Through their music, Radiohead communes with everyone who's ever been tempted to despair in a world where God seems absent" -John Murphy



OK, computer, I came kind of late to the Radiohead party.

I have had most of their catalog for several years now, having been referred to them through The Violet Burning.

Now they are inevitably part and integral parcel of my life and liturgy
(examples here and at the tags below)

Just yesterday, when Tarzan called and asked what I was doing, I told the whole truth:

"Praying with Radiohead."

"Praying for Radiohead?" he clarified.

No, but I should do that more often, too.
But I almost fear that, maybe that will turn them into a CCM act.(:

Nah, God wouldn't do that...their songs are already "very beautiful, very resurrection."

I mentioned being a relative neophyte, so Ryan T. won't laugh too long when I admit I just recently (thrift store) bought "Pablo Honey" and "Kid A".

That means I have already decided Mrs. Dark's review works for their entire canon...though many of their music is torturous and tortured ("spiritual solace from Radiohead’s music—it would make about as much as sense as finding comfort in The Brothers Karamozov")
resurrection is embedded, encrypted, and enbryonic in all that, too. I'm a messy messianic.

And I am comforted by Karamaov.
Like Jesus is.

Oh, that also means I just heard "Creep" for the first time!!
If you are one of the two reading not familiar with their huge early single that almost broke the band up way too early,
the song to me is kind of a midrash on Romans 7.

As with many/most/all Radiohead songs, it's ultimately prayer:

Even the album version where God is so f&#%-ing special," :


..as opposed to the single's version:
"so very special."
(The promo video at that link recalls the classic Ed Sullivan appearance of The Stones' "Let's Spend the Night Together" where Jagger leered the mandated censored lyric of "Let's spend some TIME together)

Surprisingly, someone talked them into a tamer version in their earlier live gigs:



Not later ones:





When you were here before
Couldn't look you in the eye
You're just like an angel
Your skin makes me cry
You float like a feather
In a beautiful world
I wish I was special
You're so
f$#@!ing special
But I 'm a creep
I 'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here

I don't care if it hurts
I want to have control
I want a perfect body
I want a perfect soul
I want you to notice
When I'm not around
You're so
f$#@!ing special
I wish I was special

But I'm a creep
I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here



Whatever makes you happy
Whatever you want
You're so f$#@! ing special
I wish I was special
But I'm a creep
I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here
I don't belong here.


I haven't had the time to make time for "Kid A," yet. But I just found an unreleased song ("Lift") from that era, that is kind of kin to U2's "Elevation" ("lift" is a UK term for "elevator);
and cousin and commentary to Romans 8:

This is the place
sit down, you're safe now

you've been stuck in a lift
we've been trying to reach you, Thom

this is the place
it won't hurt
ever again

the smell of air conditioning
the fish are belly up
empty all your pockets
'cause it's time to come home

this is the place
remember me
I'm the face you always see

you've been stuck in a lift
in the belly of a whale
at the bottom of the ocean

the smell of air conditioning
the fish are belly up
empty all your pockets
'cause it's time to come home

the smell of air conditioning
the fish are belly up

oh, let it go
let it go

today is the first day
of the rest of your days

so lighten up, squirt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!