Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Prophets: Rush, Neil Young, Genesis

(Note: if this jukebox below doesn't play, don't kick it, or check your pocket for another quarter...just click the "launch standlone player" button)





Why do all these "secular" songs seems to be messages from God to the church? Wake-up and shakeup calls to us in leadership ...

the priests ("2112"),
the "missionaries" ("Cortez the Killer")
and preachers ("Jesus He Knows Me")...

to not let the "top" get so topheavy?

From Rush's 2112: "The meek shall inherit the earth...(but) we are the priests...and we've taken care of everything, the words you hear and songs you sing...we are the priests.."
I hope not!

From Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer": "He came dancing across the water, with his galleons and guns..and his subjects gathered round him like leaves around a tree.."
Dang, I want to be like that. Deliver me!


The lesson for clergy from Genesis' "Jesus He Knows Me" should be obvious: "Jesus he knows me, and he know I'm right..."
I am right about one thing: I'm not always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!