Thursday, July 31, 2008

Two Naked Pastors

If I could only learn to pray naked (St. Mike blazed the way, see story halfway down here, along with fully clothed video of the song by that name), preach naked, be naked.

It's all I have got to offer.

In the league of Chris Erdman on what we can learn about preaching from U2
(this lesson, and a classic "trialogue" with Bono and Assayas that wound up in Chris' book);

now consider Naked Pastor's post on recently "ordained" minister (!) Alanis Morissette:


Alanis Morissette & Improv Preaching

Posted in art, thought by nakedpastor on the June 19th, 2008

image.jpegLisa turned me on to an article Saturday in Saint John’s Telegraph Journal called “Alanis, raw”… about a Canadian musician and artist, Alanis Morissette. I love her music anyway and have always been intrigued by her. Her latest album, Flavors of Entanglement, is just incredible. Pick it up.

What intrigues me about her is how she writes her songs and records her albums. I heard years ago that she doesn’t write any lyrics until she’s actually in the studio with the record button on. It’s all spontaneous and impromptu, giving her songs a real and immediate quality:

Typically I go in the studio and whatever I’m contemplating that day will wind up being a song. I don’t come in with lyrics… I just go in and let it happen… I don’t change anything once we’re done. I put all my energy – and this also shows up in other areas of my life – my energy goes into being ready… With songwriting I spend a lot of time living life, accruing all these experiences, journaling, and then by the time I get to the studio, I’m teeming with the drive to write.

Sigsworth (who’s worked with Imogen Heap of Frou Frou), worked with Alanis in the studio and says:

So many of my ideas about songwriting have been changed by working with her, because she works so fast as a writer and gets the raw statement of the song so precisely so quickly… She seems to just centre on that focal point, the crisis issue at the heart of the song, and she gets it immediately… There were songs where I would listen and be almost in tears and think, ‘Where did this come from? There was nothing here this morning.’

Alanis’ approach to the creative art of songwriting and singing has encouraged me over the years in my approach to the sermon or preaching event. If you’ve been following my blog, you can read a post I wrote last April called Preaching Improv that talks about this. I remember when I first started pastoring churches and preaching I followed the recommended formula of one hour’s preparation for each minute of preaching (which, in the Presbyterian Church, was precisely 20 minutes. Do the math.). Over the years I found this increasingly clinical, artificial, impersonal and therefore frustrating. I began to approach teaching less as presenting a carefully formulated bottle of water to giving living water (if there was any) from the well that I had hopefully nourished in my personal life. My preaching became impromptu. Seldom any notes. Often plenty of nerves. But usually always engagement between everyone in the room. This doesn’t mean that there isn’t any study, writing, contemplation or decision. In fact, the opposite is true. When I used to prepare sermons, it was necessary for me to isolate (insulate?) myself from people and life. Now, I feel more fully engaged with people and with life, documenting my discoveries, revelations and conclusions in concrete experiences, journals, blogs, art, songs and occasional teaching moments.

-Naked Pastor, link



Some of that reminded me of "How can I be a spokemen when all I've got to say is 'Help!'"

Naked Pastor's post is even better than the brilliant Naked Alanis music video/song/psalm/prayer:

What's really naked and vulnerable in this song is Alanis' soul.
I want to be like that.
Or not.

Guess you'll have to settle for a "naked picture of Dave Wainscott"..

"Thank U"
by (Rev.) Alanis Morisette

how bout getting off these antibiotics
how bout stopping eating when I'm full up
how bout them transparent dangling carrots
how bout that ever elusive kudo

thank you india
thank you terror
thank you disillusionment
thank you frailty
thank you consequence
thank you thank you silence

how bout me not blaming you for everything
how bout me enjoying the moment for once
how bout how good it feels to finally forgive you
how bout grieving
it all one at a time

thank you india
thank you terror
thank you disillusionment
thank you frailty
thank you consequence
thank you thank you silence

the moment I let go of it was the moment
I got more than I could handle
the moment I jumped off of it
was the moment I touched down

how bout no longer being masochistic
how bout remembering your divinity
how bout unabashedly bawling your eyes out
how bout not equating death with stopping

thank you india
thank you providence
thank you disillusionment
thank you nothingness
thank you clarity
thank you thank you silence


Wow.

Of course a spoof of the video was inevitable; see it here,
but the new line there, "wash me," is prayer as well..




Don't forget:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!