Friday, July 01, 2011

"So they might tell you you’re a good preacher and keep paying you so you can feed your kids. "

Gordon Atkinson (FNA Real Live Preacher) is back. New blog is "Tertium Squid":
I swear money can spoil anything. I don’t mean that I ever made much money writing. I hardly made any. But just thinking of writing in that way can ruin it. Thinking about what people might like to read or what kind of book they might want to buy. It’s the same kind of poison as thinking what kind of sermon church people might want to hear. So they might like you and compliment you and tell you you’re a good preacher and keep paying you so you can feed your kids.

Just ugly shit like that.

 In 2009 I started unraveling. I knew I wasn’t going to make it much longer. One day I was standing up front on Sunday doing the whole preacher thing, trying to be true to the scriptures and true to myself at the same time. (That’s a helluva trick, let me tell you!) And then suddenly I felt like I would die if I had to do that anymore. So I quit.
             -Gordon Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!