Friday, July 15, 2011

Rev. Sinead O'Connor: "i plead the blood of Jesus over you.."

It's chilling  and perhaps inevitable that Sinead O'Connor finally  begin a new song ("Take Off Your Shoes" )with "I plead the blood of Jesus over you."
No surprise, as Godhaunted as she is (see: Sinead Holds Back the Night, and Sinead on "dictating when God can come out and St. Sinead the Smokin') 

But don't call Christian radio quite yet.


It's s not really a  surprise, but still a jolt to hear the next line:
"..and over every f___ing thing you do"

It's not a throwaway profanity,  but another protest against sexual abuse within the system:
In concert, she suggests this is how she imagines "The Holy Spirit would address the Vatican"  (a response to child abuse, etc).

If you've never heard an earlier prophetic prayer-song by Rev. Sinead, one that did actually get recorded (by David Crowder) on a Christian album, watch the first  two videos (safe for church) you're ready for the newer, edgier one under discussion, play the other videos (and see if your priest will allow it at mass...):







I plead the blood of Jesus over you
I plead the blood of Jesus over you
And over every f---ing thing you do
Seven times I plead the blood of Jesus over you

Take off your shoes - you're on hallowed ground
Even you can't lie when I'm around
Take off your shoes - you're on hallowed ground

Behold on the last lamp light at the very end of your street
I'm whispering something
Come closer to me
Come closer to me

I say you're running out of battery, you're running out of battery
And I don't see no bunnies around here

If you believed at all in your breviary, if you believed even in just the ghost of me, you wouldn't now be so surprised to see me

In vanity you took the name of me
You brought me into infamy
And now you're so surprised to see me, and now you're so surprised to see me

1 comment:

  1. I can't say I've really listened to the lyrics in detail before. Thanks. Sometimes I think, at the end of our pomp and circumstance, that only the Holy Spirt is left of faith. Not so much God, as a ghost of a God. Just putting that on the page sounds heretical, but no more so I suspect, that than Eckhart.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!