Wednesday, December 03, 2008

drums and rapture...or at least Apocalypses in 9/8

I was once asked (and answered):
Dream duet (or two bands you'd love to see join up)?

Gee, this just happened...U2 and Green Day...so now I'll wait for Kate Bush, Sinead O'Connor, Bob Dylan and Keith Green to sing alongside the Violet Burning/77s/U2 while Neil Peart ,Chester Thompson, and Keith Moon drum...gee, that drumming might cause the rapture.
link
When one thinks of drummers whose invocations could be rapture/Armaggddon-inducing, Karen Carpenter does not show up.
Which is why some folk my age are still upset about Karen Carpenter (seriously!) winning the Rolling Stone "Drummer of the Year" award over Led Zeppelin's John Bonham..

Even though that was clearly a sin;
it may not have been the unpardonable sin....
so it probably deserves a pardon..


They're both dead..get over it.
Besides, she just recently made Rolling Stone's list of Top 100 Singers of All Time..

Guess it is the end times (:




Anybody (well, not me) can play a flashy solo, or fill a fill;
but I love the smart ones who can do that
but also/instead
can understate,
can be creatively "on a roll,"
can march to the beat of a different timer.



Neil Peart is an artist and genius, but you knew that.

Brand X , a band you've never heard of, cut some great jazz in the 70s, and their unknown dude on the drums (Phil Collins) sounded freer than ever.
Zappa picked gifted drummers: Coliuta, Bozzio et al


Here are some of my favorite drummers and kairotic drumming moments; how about yours?


I'll start with the sublimely subtle:
Jason Lord Maize played at our church w/The Violet Burning,

proof:

Here he is on "Gorgeous":






Speaking of timing (and Genesis ); now the subtly sublime and insanely sane time signature:

The "Apocalypse in 9/8" section of Genesis's 24 minute exorcism epic/commentary on Revelation, "Suppers Ready"...whether with Bill Bruford (as below) or the classic St Chester..
After the amazing drum section, dare you to NOT worship along to the lyrics and passion of Phil with the
"There's an angel standing in the sun/
And he's crying with a loud voice, This is the Supper of the Mighty One/
....the Lord of Lords, King of Kings has returned to lead His children home/
To take them to the new Jerusallllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem"
(excuse me, that part raptures me every time) section at 6:39ff...

From Wikipedia:

The song has been highly regarded by fans for its epic nature and cathartic climax, with Gabriel in particular delivering an emotionally charged vocal performance at the close of the song. Referring in part to the song's lyrical depiction of a struggle between good and evil, Gabriel has been quoted as saying he felt he was "literally singing for his life" in the recording studio. In contrast, Hackett is said to have responded to a fan who enthused "Steve, I actually saw God at the end!" with the rather more down-to-earth "Well, I was just trying to get the notes right"
link

Ok, the clip:



( audio here)

I cannot NOT mention Larry Mullen, Jr. of U2..especially his unappreciated moments on an unheard "worship album": "October." On a song that U2 haven't played for nearly 25 years "With a Shout (Jerusalem)," Larry played some drums I have never gotten tired of for 25 years.
And I was thrilled that someone (Ian Kelly) shares my awe for another amazing Mullen moment:

I have many favorite Larry moments but I would have to go with his thunderous drums on the Rattle And Hum film version of "With Or Without You". The drums in that performance are absolutely amazing, and help to make that my favorite version of "WOWY". He really seems to be in his own world during that performance, which I believe was one of the first times they ever played that song live.
And at the climactic point just before Bono explodes with the added verse of "Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night...," Larry, sitting with his headphones on, seems to slip away into his own private universe, playing as fast as humanly possible and showing his true emotion and love for the song. I love the way the spotlights come down on him too like he was alone up there on his drum riser. The energy is indescribable!
-- Ian Kelly, atu2.com

I love 2:49, when we first realize, "Wow, he's really into it today; something's about to happen(In U2 lexicon, God is about to walk through the room) ; then if you watch from
3:35, you are primed for the section Kelly mentions (4:19-4:43). I can't live with or without that section; that half minute may well have restored my soul and saved my life. It's my pastor "after church" song; Mullen himself says "that song never made sense on the radio; maybe in church":


Manu Katche, playing for Peter Gabriel, 4:21ff:



Keith (no last name needed) from 7:25:


Here's a classic '78 clip of two of the best drummers ever (Thank God one of them is still alive, I just wish he would tour, he's an animal!):



Bottom line, my favorite drummer on the planet lives with me, so get to hear him practice (Thank God he didn't take up violin! ). He wears my jeans and my genes. He's brand new at drumming; and you can find an assortment of his early jams here...Here's a clip made before he had a single lesson, just experimenting:







That does cause a dad's heart to experience rapture..
or at least get teary eyed and apocalyptic.

We apparently have the word “apocalypse“ all wrong. In its root meaning, it’s not about destruction or fortune telling; It’s about revealing; It’s what James Joyce calls an epiphany...The real world, within which you’ve lived and moved and had your being, has unveiled itself. It’s starting to come to you. .. Is it any surprise that we often won’t know it when we see it?

-David Dark, “Everyday Apocalypse: The Sacred Revealed in Radiohead, The Simpsons and Other Pop Culture Icons”, p.10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!