Thursday, February 08, 2007

"Once you label me you negate me..now with God's help I can become myself. "


"Once you label me you negate me.... 
                               but now with God's help I can become myself. "

-Soren Kierkegaard

(attributed to him everywhere, but no one gives a source. Help?)

"{With God's help}, Become what you already are [:yourself]"
-Philippians 3:16


Edit:
-The first line: no source found in SK found the source:

The second line is from SK's journal:

"My whole being is changed.  My reserve and my self-isolation is broken--I must speak."
(Journals,  Oxford edition. p. 747, April 19, 1848.)

A few paragraphs later:


"It is essentially owing to her, to my melancholy and to my money that I became an author.
Now with God's help, I shall be myself.
I believe that Christ will help me to be victorious 
over my melancholy,  and so I shall become a priest."
(Journals, p. 748.  April 19, 1848.)

A few days later:

"No, no,  My self-isolation cannot be broken. at least for now."
(Journals, p. 749, April 24, 1838)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!