Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Imagineering to Understand People and Produce Art


My prayer/encounter with Ray Bradbury (here) ,
and this classic SpongeBob episode
have got me re-imagining the role and gifting of imagination in the Christian life and church.

Why did Einstein get it right:

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
(ht, Happy Lee)


And why is the church so afraid of getting it right?

Like any pastor worth their
salt (see
The salt of the earth does not mock rotting meat")
and saltiness (see "
Salty Dogma/Explicit Confession),
I want to be an imagineer when I grow up (I just don't want to grow up)...

Thank God for CS Lewis, who in his classic essay on ..uh, masturbation, said:
"The true exercise of imagination in my view, is (a) To help us understand other people (b) To respond to, and, some of us, to produce art"
link

That, too, is my bottom-line job description.

Imagine that..



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!