Saturday, May 23, 2009

there are no Christian bookstores

Jeffery Ferguson posts:

"I was in a Christian bookstore the other day.

This statement has so many things wrong with it;

is the building itself Christian is that what makes it a Christian Bookstore, is it because there are bibles or Christian related materials, is it because Christian's work there? None of these seem to make enough of an argument for why we call it a Christian bookstore, even if it is all three. Continuing on, I am deeply disturbed every time I enter one of these establishments. First, they seem so unfriendly, uninviting. Second I just want to scream out obscenities while I am in there. There is no other place in the world that I would rather drop the F bomb. We don't get it. We don't even know what the question is. How could we ever think that some person who doesn't know who Jesus is, or doesn't know what Christianity is really about would wander into one of these places? And if they did, are we happy with the representation that they are of us?"
-Jeffery Ferguson, The Bubble Needs to Pop! , link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!