Tuesday, October 08, 2013

new gospel music by St. Trent Reznor and NIN

Bono was right about NIN (Bono audio: God at the 9" Nails Gig)
.. See this:
....Now we are introduced to the new Trent Reznor, and it sounds quite a bit like the old version of him — “a copy of a copy of a copy,” as he sings over the electronic rhythm section. But like digital artifacts or genetic mutations over generations, this copy of a copy introduces new elements into Nine Inch Nails’ music, and these mutations appear to be for the better.

For one thing, this record conveys a greater sense of humility, a quality his earlier works often lacked. This is most clearly expressed in “Find My Way,” a tender, heartfelt prayer that would sound perfectly natural sung by an old-time gospel ensemble. “Well my path has gone astray. I’m just trying to find my way… I have made a great mistake. Pray the Lord, my soul to take,” Reznor sings, seemingly without irony.

This is a far cry from the nihilistic

rants of his Downward Spiral days, when lyrics such as “God is dead and no one cares” were common.

He continues this theme on the album’s penultimate track, “While I’m Still Here,” explicitly borrowing a line from Hank Williams’ “Weary Blues From Waitin’.”
“Oh all the things that might have been… God forgive me if I cry,” Reznor sings in tribute to a long tradition of tragic American ballads.

At other times, he appears defiant in his embrace of life. On the unapologetically upbeat “Everything,” Reznor sings triumphantly, “I have survived everything… I am whole, I am free. I am whole, I can see.”
No doubt this more mature and decidedly less rage-filled perspective will alienate many NIN fans. But that’s not to say that Reznor has entirely abandoned his former depressive nihilism. Songs like “Disappointed” and “I Would For You” stay true to tradition, maintaining a steady veneer of self-loathing and existential angst. It’s not that these qualities ever completely disappear from his music. If anything, a sense of disappointment and depression remain the background atmosphere of all Reznor’s music. But against that background, he appears to have found a greater sense of purpose and meaning..... Link

Related:
Unlikely Light by John J. Thompson

Listen: Nine Inch Nails: "Copy of A" | News | Pitchfork

2 comments:

  1. You may be interested in listening to Not the Actual Events, the recent Nine Inch Nails EP. In the lyrics to "Burning Bright (Field on Fire)" Reznor uses spiritual imagery and refers to being forgiven and free. He's honest and a great lyricist as well. http://www.nin.wiki/Burning_Bright_(Field_On_Fire)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow , great tip , Rocker! You rock. thanks

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!